Friday, June 19, 2009

Job Hunting

For the most part, I like my current temp job. When I'm working in Suite B with Dr. Drescher and her assistant, Stacey, the day flies as we are so busy. Both of them are so nice and they allow me to work on my own, trusting me to get the job done and do quality work. They are both friendly and let me know that they appreciate my work. When I'm at the main registration desk, the staff there is also jovial and friendly. It's always busy there, so the day also goes by pretty quickly.

However, there are some downsides to the job. Mainly, I have no control over the hours I work. Sometimes I have a full week and other times I only work a few days a week. It's hard to budget when the income is not steady. Also, it has still been stressful working with the other clerical workers in the OB/GYN office. They have bonded with the other temp worker and the favoritism they show her is very obvious. When they need someone to fill in, she is the one they call on -- so as a result, she ends up with many more hours than I do. I've attempted to discuss it with the gal that makes those decisions, but she either just doesn't get it, or purposefully decides not to. Needless to say, it makes working in that office difficult, as I kind of feel like the last kid picked for dodge ball. On one hand, working in that office is not enjoyable for me anymore, so I shouldn't care. But on the other hand, I need the hours/money -- so the blatant favoritism is upsetting. Plus, it's just no fun to be working in the office and be ignored during conversations and left out of the jokes that are being told. It's all so elementary school it drives me crazy, but at the same time, it probably hits that insecure part of me left over from when those types of things happened in school.

I decided that I would attempt to use the days I'm not working in a productive manner -- looking for a full time job. My goal is to apply for one job each day I'm home. I haven't yet met that goal, as life tends to throw things at me that I need to deal with right away -- but I have applied for one so far. It was an associate editor position at a national magazine that is based here in town. I emailed my resume and was happy to get a response, along with an editing test that was due the next day. I thought I did a good job and was happy with my work -- but I received an email about a week later thanking me, but saying they would not be inviting me for an interview. Ouch! Still, I'm grateful that they at least emailed to let me know -- so many places here never acknowledge applications or resumes that are sent. I'm still keeping my eye open for a full time position where I'm currently working (but probably not in the OB/GYN office) -- but I figured other options could not hurt (and it's good practice to keep applying).

Full time with benefits would be good. Our dental appointments are coming up next month and I may have to cancel, as we lost our dental insurance when Mike lost his job. Thank goodness the medical insurance is through the military.

No comments: