Sunday, November 2, 2008

Wonderful Month!

More good news in the sweepstakes department! I entered Mike (my husband) in a sweepstakes for a flat screen TV and -- he won! I couldn't believe that we won THREE flat screens in less than a month! Again, it's one of those experiences that only happen in sweepstaking! We've received the first flat screen that I won, and it is beautiful. Our problem was that we wanted it in the family room, where we spend most of our time -- and the entertainment center in there was a "assemble yourself" pressed wood type that we've had for years. Small and not so pretty -- no room for the flat screen TV. What we REALLY wanted was a solid wood entertainment center with a console, side piers, and bridge above, large enough to fit the alcove where our current entertainment center was dwarfed.

We looked online and at local stores and all of the entertainment centers that we liked were over $1500. Of course, we didn't have that type of money to spend just now, so we were thinking we would have to settle for a larger "assemble yourself" pressed wood type -- sigh. Then I looked on Craigslist and found a beautiful cherry entertainment center, just the right size, just up the street. It looked gorgeous in the pictures and was the right price ($500). We went to see it and it was obvious the owners took really good care of their belongings -- not a scratch on it! We brought it home, set it up, and now are watching high-def TV and marveling that we have such a beautiful and functional entertainment spot in our home! The color of the wood compliments the room color so beautifully! It's just a pleasure to look at (and of course to watch our new TV there). We got a shock when we went to buy the hookup cords for the TV -- but luckily the $1000 Best Buy certificate had come and we were able to use it to buy the things we needed (and we'll use it to buy the wall mount for the my DH's flat screen when it comes in a few weeks). We're planning on using the rest of that Best Buy gift card for Christmas presents instead of for a third flat screen. It just makes more sense financially.

We just got back from a trip to DC where my daughter Mysti was married. It was such a beautiful wedding and reception! Of course, I cried like a baby when she walked down the aisle. Most of the family came from all over the country and I was able to rent a vacation home for a decent price -- so we all stayed together (both sets of in-laws (and one of their poodles), my two brothers (one with wife and baby), my three unmarried children, and my nephew. My sister and her husband just moved to DC, so they visited often, as did my daughter who was getting married, her fiancé (now husband), and some of her bridesmaids when they got to town. It was like a family reunion every night! We did some sightseeing, but most of all I enjoyed helping my daughter get ready and doing some cooking for her, putting about a dozen meals into her freezer for them to enjoy when they get back from the honeymoon. Now I just have to help her find some great deals on some furniture -- as their living/dining room is totally bare!

No comments: