Friday, December 3, 2010

Blah, humbug!

This has been a tough year for nearly everyone I know. Not only financially, but emotionally. It seems that most everyone feels kind of "blah" about the holiday season. Mike and I were discussing it last night and we're not sure if it is the stress (from being out of work or in stressful work conditions) or the state the country and economy is in, finances, or just a general state of apathy for whatever reason. Whatever it is -- it's not fun! I'm trying to be more upbeat and (as Monty Python would sing) "Look on the bright side of life!" I finally broke out the Christmas decorations last weekend and my goal is to finish them up this weekend. Twinkly lights and beautiful decorations always puts me in a more happy, peaceful mood!

Unfortunately, my apathy has extended to my weight loss program. By mid-October I had dropped about 37 pounds -- but since then, I've gained and lost the same three pounds over and over again. In my new "look on the bright side" philosophy, I tell myself that I am not GAINING -- and it probably does my body good to adjust to this new, smaller me. Plus, this is a hard time of year to loose due to all of the holiday food and relatives visiting. I'm still working out 3-4 days a week, but I know I need to start being more selective about the foods I'm eating. Realistically, I know that will be difficult through the first of the year -- so I plan to keep up my workouts, eat sensibly when I can, but not feel guilty if a Christmas cookie finds its way to my mouth. If I can continue maintaining through December, then January will be a good time to recommit to Weight Watchers and really track everything I eat (they just revamped the program, so it is like starting it all over anyway!)

I am going to start thinking about my New Year's Resolutions now. Of course, healthy eating and a healthy, exercised body is part of it. However, I want to be more happy in the coming year -- connecting on a better level to my spouse, family, and friends. I know that means I have to be more selfish sometimes (making time for me and the things I like), but I'm wondering if volunteering will also help. I'll keep you updated.

Oh, and here is a shout out to you, brother James! You are quite a detective to find my blog all on your own (and I'm glad to have a follower/reader -- even if it is my brother :)

No comments: