Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beautiful Bathroom on a Budget!

The remodeling we are doing in the kids/guest bathroom is coming along nicely! I guess the more remodeling we do, the better we get (so it seems easier). Plus, this job has not had any nasty surprises (knock wood)!

It was my goal to do this bathroom for between $1000-$2000, using leftover supplies from previous remodeling jobs, clearance items, and a lot of elbow grease. It looks like we'll come in on the low side of our budget -- and what is nice is that the bathroom will look very high end!

As we didn't want to spend $600-$1200 on a new vanity, we decided to refinish the exsisting vanity and add hardware. We opted for a beautiful espresso black/brown color. I've never painted cabinets before, so I was leery about how they might turn out -- but we love the look. The natural grain of the cabinet doors shows through the paint, making it seem like the wood has almost been stained that ebony color. We had a rather ugly medicine cabinet on the wall and I cut out the raised panel in the center and we are going to put "rain" glass in the frame that was left. With the espresso finish, the cabinets look brand new, very updated, and very expensive! We purchased an inexpensive mirror (we actually found it first and had the paint custom mixed to match it). As I mentioned in an earlier post, the sink was found on clearance and we are keeping the fixtures we currently have (as we purchased them when we moved into the house and they are a lovely oil rubbed bronze color).

The tile is going up today and my mosaic is being installed in just a few minutes! I'm really excited to see it "in action" so to speak. I've still got to do some mudding and taping of the drywall -- but I can do that while Mike is working on the rest of the bathtub tiling and getting the floor ready to be tiled. If all goes well, this bathroom should be done by next weekend -- about a month from start to finish.

No comments: