Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sweepstaking and Remodeling

Not that the two have much to do with each other, but both appeal tot he bargain hunter/deal finder in me! Christmas turned out to be quite nice -- thanks to a few nice wins in the latter half of 2009. I was able to purchase some gifts thanks to a $200 QVC giftcard and $150 in debit cards that I won. Jonathon got his Wii thanks to a win. I had several food and gas gift cards that we used on the trip to my folks house in Arizona. The whole family was there and a good time was had by all!

Currently, I've been focusing a lot on local/regional drop box sweepstakes. These are those that you might see in a store -- where you fill out your entry and drop it in the box right then. I was notified last week I won another $100 gift card from one of these. Over the Christmas holidays Mike helped me to enter a drop box for a big screen television. They were giving away about 30 of them and it was only open to our state -- so we're hoping that at least one person in our family wins one. Mike says if we win, we'll put it above the fireplace in the front room -- and that he will remodel that area at that time, putting the wiring in the walls, replacing our, unusable gas fireplace, and redoing the tile/mantle on the fireplace. We got in over 50 entries between the two of us -- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

The kid's bathroom is our latest remodeling project. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Jonathon put his head right through the wall/tile in the bath area -- so it took the shower there out of commission until we got the job done. We've had some ideas on how we wanted to do the room for many months and we've been buying items we needed when we find them on clearance. For example, the tile we used for the master bathroom was on clearance -- so we purchased all of the tile we would need for the kid's bathroom at that point as well. About a month ago, we found a new sink at Lowes -- normally $85, on clearance for $14.50. They only had the display model left, but they took it down for us and Mike installed it at that time (the sink we had before was some sort of PLASTIC and was all discolored, gouged, and scratched).

The work has been going pretty smoothly so far (I think we're getting better at remodeling the more jobs we do!) We took out the walls and ceiling in the bath/shower area and cut down a wall that separated the vanity area from the bath/toilet area -- that really opened the room up! Mike put in a new, quieter but more powerful fan, as well as a couple of new can lights to brighten the place up. I started working on a mosaic I've wanted to do for a long time. It's about 24 inches square and will be the focal point of the room, installed on the tile wall of the bath/shower. I just finished up yesterday and I really like it!

The best part about the mosaic is that it cost only $20 for new materials. Everything else was left over from previous tile jobs in the house! I priced some mosaics online and in the store and the cheapest I could find (for mosaics that either weren't as large or were a much more simple design) were well over $100.

We installed the new bathtub yesterday (nothing fancy -- but better than the old plastic-type tub we had before) and we are putting up the cement board in the shower/tub area today, as well as the rest of the walls that needed to be torn out. The next project will be the tiling and I'm in charge of refinishing the vanity cabinets. We got a great espresso color paint to match a mirror we found. I think it's going to be striking and much more modern than the golden oak color the cabinets are now. I'll keep you updated with pictures as I finish projects!

No comments: