Saturday, August 28, 2010

Another Guest Room Done!

While my youngest daughter was at college last spring (and after I had recovered from my surgery), I decided to make over her room. We had painted and decorated it when we first purchased the house, and she had liked the super bright colors at the time, but her tastes had changed. I also wanted to have another guest room that friends and family could use when she was at college (or when she moves out once she graduates).

This is a before shot of her room once it had been emptied. Needless to say, all of her accessories were also in these bright yellow and salmon colors (with some lime green thrown in as well).




We purchased a very nice queen-size bed for $100 from a retired couple who were moving and had used it as a guest bed (so it was in almost new condition). I then found a "Bed in a Bag" on sale at Wal-Mart for $35. I took my color inspiration from the comforter and purchased a very neutral wheat color paint for the walls. I kept the trim and doors white and also kept the current white cellular shade for the window -- just adding a splash of color with a new turquoise valance (not shown in the pictures). We also found a great upholstered chair for $20 at a thrift shop that matches the valance and headboard. The showpiece for the room is the padded headboard! I've always wanted to make one and finally did it. The fabric was on clearance, which cut the cost down quite a bit. It ended up costing about $75 -- but I think if I do it again, I can do it for less using foam mattress pads for the padding instead of the foam I bought at the local fabric stores. What do you think?




I still have some work to do in the room. My daughter already had a few beachy accessories, like a shell wind chime and a few pictures/corkboards that fit in with the color scheme nicely. I had a few more that I salvaged from the kid's bathroom before the remodel. I need to get those up and add one more, larger piece of art on the wall across from the bed. I'm thinking I might try my hand at an abstract piece on canvas, in the colors of the room, that gives a "beach like" impression. It's something I've wanted to try after watching some decorating shows on TV -- and it doesn't look too hard. Look for my results later :)

No comments: