Saturday, August 28, 2010

Good News...and More Good News!

Mike finished with his Bachelor's Degree and this summer started on his Master's Degree. He was also looking for work, but could not get so much as an interview. This town is funny that way. I noticed the same thing when I was looking for work and finally started with a temp agency, which placed me at my current job. That is how I was able to get on full time with the office when they decided to hire. Some of our patients from out of state say they have had the same problems. It's frustrating, because you know if you could get an interview, you could get a job -- but I don't know if the employers in this town post positions with someone already in mind, if they want local people for the job, or what -- but it's hard to get an "in."

Mike's unemployment is due to expire in another month, so he decided he would also start temping to see what happened. That was frustrating, because he has so much experience and should do better than a $10-$12 per hour job. However, it was a good decision, because one of the national temp agencies called him about a management job for a computer giant that has a branch in our town. Once they talked to him, they hired him the next day! After a 90 day probation period, he'll be working full time for the temp agency -- but contracted out to the computer giant. The pay is about half of what he was making before -- but enough that we can live comfortably on it, my job, and his pension from the military. He is going to continue going to school full time as well -- at least through the fall semester. He really wants to get his Master's Degree and I admire that.

In other good news, one of the problem employees at my work decided to move on to greener pastures. I was very happy to see it, as work had been pretty miserable. We still have another one of her gang that wants to do things her way -- taking time off whenever she pleases, doing the job however she sees fit, and spending hours online, texting, and on the phone. It's maddening, because she has indoctrinated another employee that this is the way things can be done -- so between the two of them, not a lot of work gets done. I'm starting to get emotionally and physically exhausted trying to cover the stuff they let fall through the cracks. We just hired a new person and will have another starting within a few weeks -- so I'm waiting to see how that works out. If they have the same type of work ethic as these two gals, then it's time for me to move on as well. Management is aware of the problems, but are never on hand to witness things -- so nothing gets done. I find going to work to be frustrating instead of rewarding, and I really want to have a job I look forward to! I'm making that one of my goals for the next year.

No comments: