Saturday, August 28, 2010

Goals

Once I had my surgery in February, I decided it was time to start getting healthy. I've been overweight most of my adult life and working out is not fun for me at all. However, I was on all types of drugs for various ailments and I was in pain nearly every day -- and I knew that if I could loose some weight and get my muscles more toned, I would feel better.

So, my big goal this year is to loose weight -- not for looks, but for health! I finally broke out the Wii Fit I won last fall and weighed myself on it on March 30th -- 218 pounds and a size 18-20! I've weighed more, and I've certainly weighed less (at one period in my life when the drug Phen-fen was still being prescribed, I got down to 160 and a size 12 -- but I quit taking that and quit exercising, and it all came back).

I started going to the gym or walking 2-4 times a week and was watching what I ate. By early May, I had lost 7 pounds. Then work sent out an email inviting people to join Weight Watchers, which would be meeting once a week during lunch at work. The best thing (for a spendthrift like myself) was that it was free for the first 17 week session (and half price for additional sessions). I wasn't sure I was ready to be in a "program" -- but then I figured, why not? I was already doing it on my own -- a little more help and support couldn't hurt. So I joined.

The 17 week session just ended this past week and I've lost a total of 20 pounds while on Weight Watchers (added to the 7 pounds I had already lost on my own -- for a total of 27 pounds gone!) That is more than 10% of my original body weight. I'm wearing smaller clothes and people say I look great. In fact, one day a young man I didn't know came up to me at the gym and told me that he had noticed me working out the past few months and that he could really tell the difference from my hard work -- that really made my day! The best thing about the weight loss and activity is that I no longer have to take medication for nightly indigestion and I don't get that crippling back pain I used to have. Usually, when my body hurts these days, it's because I've added weight or intensity to my workout.

The Weight Watcher's program at work ended, but I can still get the discount if I go to meetings out in town -- which I plan to do. My goal is to loose another 20 pounds by Christmas. I'm not in any great hurry -- I want to be slow and steady, and learn how to really live realistically while being healthy. Occasionally, I really want a cookie or a soda -- and I allow myself to have treats, while eating healthy overall (and getting in the activity I need).

Another major goal I have for myself is to start thinking about what I want in a job and what kind of job would meet those needs -- and then trying to find/create that job for myself. Again, I'm not in a great hurry -- I want to really explore and find something that will be rewarding (better still would be something I love -- but rewarding works for me just now). Once Mike makes it past his 90 day probationary period and is hired full time by the corporate office, then I would feel comfortable moving to a job that perhaps does not pay as much but might offer more rewards mentally. I'm excited about that upcoming adventure and hope to be in a new, fulfilling job by spring!

No comments: